Tuesday 26 February 2013

Buying a tablet

I have to admit that I wasn't really into tablets. I have always prefer a good laptop, specially gaming ones. However,  when Google released the Nexus 7, tablets drew my attention. Then I started my research to buy the best tablet I could pay with a £200 budget. You will notice with this blog, that I like to perform a  deep analysis each time I want to buy any tech product. My decision could not be the best one in your opinion, but believe me, it is not a compulsive one.

Due to my job, I have to travel quite often nowadays and I have to carry my company laptop which it does not allow me to browse some web pages or install some apps. Thus I was looking to have something light, not too big and powerful enough for a smooth internet browsing. An ultrabook was not really an option as I already own a netbook.



As I have already stated I was not a really fan for tablets, I thought it was really expensive and not that useful as I got a laptop and a kindle. However, Google decided to release the Nexus 7 which it is a really good piece of hardware with a reasonable price tag. So as I started my research, my interest into tablets grew highly. The only thing that was putting me back was the screen size of the Nexus 7. With seven inches it was not a real jump from my mobile phone (HTC Evo 3D). Thus I decided to wait.

By then there were rumours about a Nexus 10 featuring an impressive 10 inches screen with a resolution even higher than that in the ipad 3 and 4 (2560x1600 vs 2048x1536). I was excited about this new tablet...

However, some of its specs were being released and it was so good...no sd slot and a price tag of 400€ for the cheapest option. And my interested was killed...

But in December when Christmas season was approaching, I decided to buy a tablet for my father as a gift. During a trip to UK, early in December, the Nexus 7 was close to £169 for the 16GB version and I decided to pick one up... until one day taking a look at hotukdeals, I spotted a deal in Tesco related to Samsung tablets.


I didn't have any of the Samsung's range in mind when thinking about buy a tablet as its lower range was expensive and the higher end... well... that was crazy. But hey... this was the offer:

Galaxy Note 10.1 - £318 plus £50 cashback

Galaxy Tab 2 10" - £238 plus £50 cashback

Galaxy Tab 2 7" - £158 plus £30 cashback and 8Gb microsd card

This was a deal breaker and I decided to go for the Tab2 7" for my father as it covered all the needs for my dad. And then the Tab2 10" was indeed a nice deal...again tablets were in my mind... for two days I was studying this offer... and I decided to see if the difference between a Tab2 and Note was worthy...

Twice its processor power, twice its memory ram, same low resolution (compare to ipad and nexus 10) and a pen (a pen???? that is not such an advantage I thought...). But I made a huge mistake and went to Tesco to take a close look to the Note...

I fell in love with it... and then started to read about it and... I had to give it a go and finally I got my tablet...



I do not want to review the Note 10 talking about its specs as you can easily find them. I only need to tell you that the quad processor and 2GB make its work to deliver an ipad like android experience. What I want to share with you is why this tablet is so special.

We all agree that its screen resolution is low comparing to the impressive ones featured by Ipad and Nexus but the main reason for that it is an even more impressive support for a digital pen (called Spen).

This pen I thought it was a minor accessory, one of those you forget about after show to your friends how cool it's your new toy. But... man!!!!! how wrong I was... It is the master piece of this tablet... I can not believe I have lived until without using a digital pen.... the handwriting is so natural and smooth that I have switch from my old notebook to the note for my german lessons. And this tablet comes with Photoshop preinstalled which is so easy to use within the Spen...

And I have said nothing about the multiwindow support which allows you to watch a video in youtube while browsing the web and taking notes for your next post...


No comments:

Post a Comment